Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Can't Imagine

How do moms and dads send their daughters and sons overseas to war? How do you get thru that very emotional time? Not knowing when you will see them again.

Jon, Jen, Joe and Joci are leaving in 4 weeks (4 very short weeks) for the UK for 2 years. I know, lots of grandparents have to travel to visit their families, especially their grandchildren. We have not. We are very lucky to have our three grandchildren right here, close enough that we can see them every day if we want. No trip planning, travel arrangements. And, this is since birth...we are very spoiled.

I also know there is skyp (sp?) and e-mail and phones, etc. BUT...how do you get those tight squeezes/hugs/kisses electronically?!? it is not the same.

I am very happy for them for the opportunity of this great adventure but am very selfishly sad for me and for Ron. I thought I had my head wrapped around all of this but find myself watering up when thoughts of them go traveling thru my brain. Most people that know me know that this is not me...I try to keep those emotions in control and this is blowing me away. I can not imagine what May 13th will be like when they go thru that security gate at the airport, waving goodbye...for now.

Passports are being renewed and we are now planning a trip...traveling to the UK to see them...this is new to us unlike a lot of grandparents.

No comments:

Post a Comment