Monday, March 9, 2009

BOOKS


Read a good book lately? That used to be a question often asked. Now it's TV shows, blogs, movies, etc. I can't say I love to read but I do enjoy to read. Time is the factor...taking the time to sit down and read. I love to open a book that is so good that every moment you are thinking about getting back to it. You literally can not put it down. I don't read while driving (although I have seen this) but I have picked up a book at a stop light a time or two. I tend to read fast. A while back I had a job that I needed to condense a legal deposition say 200 pages down to 10-20 pages with only the relative facts. That's where I picked up a scanning habit. But with a good book you don't scan your mind wants to say every word...you have to read it all.
I don't really care about magazines/articles. I have always thought that someone is paid to do an article on a subject that is so many words long or will fit into the appropriate space left open. I assume they do the research but it is still their opinion on the subject not necessarily the facts. Books are stories, stories that you can step into and be part of the background looking on as everything unfolds in front of you.
So, as of today, I plan to make the time to read at least 1 (probably more) book a month.
One of the best things a parent can do is not just take time to read a book but to read to your children.

No comments:

Post a Comment