Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Health Fight

I feel a bit guilty. I have a very dear, old (I mean in terms of years of knowing each other...since we were in kindergarden) friend that has Lupus. I don't think she will mind me talking about this.

In 2004 (after treatments), she came out to visit and we ended up having a little "pity" party between the two of us and Vodka Gimblets. As we drank our drinks we talked about our health problems. At the end I won the party when I said "yeah, but I could die."

However, if you know of anyone with Lupus I'm not so sure I really did win. It is not a very nice disease. It takes your strength, gives you so much pain, takes your ability to do the simplest things that we all take for granted. It invites all other kinds of diseases and health problems into your body and mind. It can go into remission but the flare ups during this time are very difficult.

My friend had complications from the Lupus and now has stroke type symptoms on her left side. She is a very strong person and is working to get her strength back. You have to...just like with cancer, you have to fight to keep the disease from winning. We visited this weekend and I could see the damage but I also saw her will to survive. She has a very good caregiver in her husband who will see her thru the struggle and help her get stronger.

It's a hard fight and I marvel at how many people everyday encounters this health fight. Cancer and Lupus are just two diseases...there are so many more to be dealth with. Until we find cures that is what we have to do...fight to survive!

No comments:

Post a Comment