Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Labor Day Weekend

Great Weekend!!!


Friday Ron picked me up from work and we headed out for Cochise, Arizona. Yep...it's just about 4 miles from the Cochise Stronghold between Dragoon and Wilcox and a bunch of little places in between. The drive through Tucson is so much better with highway 10 completed.

We arrived at Earl & Edie's about 8:30 (we had stopped in Tucson for a quick dinner). We had not been south or seen them for a while so we visited until late.

Saturday, we took off for Bisbee. Drove and walked all around. Bisbee has always reminded me so much of Jerome but than they are both old minning towns and built up and down on the hills. We actually went to three Bisbees...the tourist/historic...the old town...and the newer part. Everyone usually visits the tourist/historic part but there is so much more. We had reservations to eat at Cafe Roka...wonderful food....very nice atomsphere...overall perfect. There was dancing in the streets and little bicycle/tricycle (no pedals) vehicles to be raced the next day on display. Kind of like the soap box derby only adult type and they did look a bit more dangerous as they had a lot of stuff on them that could hurt you if they crashed. They shut down the main street, everyone dancing...it was fun.
That's us and Edie and Earl in front of the Hotel in Bisbee.

Sunday we were to ride horses, but there was a mix up so we took off to ghost towns and this very unusal place that had everything covered in rattlesnake skins you could every ask for. AND, OMG, the priceless antiques (and junk) hanging and leaning and sitting all over the place. These people had been there since 1979 BUT it looked like they had been there forever according to all the stuff around. It was a museum in itself. This was in Gleeson...a ghost town with lots of old foundations and a restored jail!!!

Monday, Edie and I rode Cisco and Snickers for about 1 1/2 hours. The ranch is gorgeous with huge boulders (kind like the ones on the way to Payson) everywhere. There were 6 of us on the ride and I had not ridden a horse for, oh about 30 years. I had forgotten how big they are. Of course I have a picture!!!!!

That's us on our horses after the ride. I did have an unusal dismount...as the wrangler was leading Cisco for me to get off at the steps (oh so much easier to get on and off with the steps) my saddle started to slide to the left right around the horses' belly and me in it. Now I should have just pushed down on the right stirrup and all would have been well. Who was thinking!!!!! Anyway I just slide down and around and just plopped on the ground. No cameras...no pictures of that thank heavens!!!! I wonder if Cisco took a deep breathe just so it would turn....hmmmm....I did let him eat a lot along the way...he should have liked me......

Not walking funny, not sore, an item off my bucket list!!!!!!


I was glad that Edie rode too. She has always been around horses and had not ridden for a while and she really enjoyed it.


It was time to head back to the real life so we got home late in the afternoon. We were treated like we were in a bed and breakfast...Edie would not let us do anything...friends/guests all rolled into one big weekend.


I hope you had a great one too!!!! :):):):)

1 comment:

  1. Always take time for friends. They are the most precious thing we have in life along with our families. Thanks for being my friend, Donna, and for making this past weekend one of the best we've had in a long time.......Edie

    ReplyDelete